Thursday 27 April 2017

When Obedience Doesn't Seem Fair

I had wanted to share something different today, but I came across another story on another social media group that I belong to, that is quite interesting and comes across to me as a follow up of my last post. This story is the complete opposite scenario from my last post and I believe there are lessons to learn from this story too. This is another true-life story.

The Story
My husband wants to give me N10,000 ($27) for feeding the family for the month. Our family consists of me, my husband and our unborn baby as I am currently pregnant for my husband. I am also not working because he instructed that I must not work. I am wondering how far this peanut of money can go for a month since I am not working and can’t do anything to support this little money, and understanding fully well the economic situation in the country. Please should I collect this money from him or not. What should I do?

My Response
Reading this story, the first thing that came to my mind is the story of a widow found in 2 Kings 4:1-7 and I will just share that passage here for easy reference.

2 Kings 4:1-7
The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he reverend the Lord. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.”
Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?"
“Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a little oil.”
Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.”
She left him and afterwards shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.”
But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then oil stopped flowing.
She went and told the man of God, and he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and yours sons can live on what is left.”

If I were this wife in question I bet you, the approach of this widow would be my choice of approach in handling this situation. That token of money that feels so little and inadequate to go by for a week not to talk of for four weeks, bearing in mind that the members of the family would have to eat three times a day and considering the economic situation of the country and the cost of food items, would be committed into the hands of God to bless and multiply being confident that the God who fed five thousand able bodied men outside of women and children and they still collected twelve baskets full of leftovers is still very much on the throne and His power and expertise in handling difficult situations such as this has not diminished. He was God then and He is still God now and He is still in the business of answering prayers.
David said in Psalm 34:10 that “The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing,” and again in Psalm 37:25 he said, “I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.” This widow we read of in 2 Kings 4:1-7 sought the Lord and she was not put to shame. She called on God with her "nothing at all except a little oil" and her problems were immediately taken care of.
Even though I pray the men reading this would not use what I am about to write as an excuse to fail in their responsibilities as husbands and fathers in providing for their families, I would tell this wife to appreciate her husband for the little he has dropped. Some wives are still struggling to have their husbands drop such a little as this. But that said, the wife who is a child of God will call on God to work on that little and multiply it such that it will continue to meet the needs of the home until the husband is able to drop another trench, and hopefully the next time it will be a little more than the previous time.
Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” This Bible passage didn’t say that “and your husband will meet all your needs.” As a matter of fact your husband is just a vessel in the hands of God in meeting your needs, and God can decide to choose another vessel who is not your husband if He so wishes to. The important thing is that God meets all your needs; so whether it's through your husband or otherwise, is not so much of an issue as the fact that your needs are met.

So appreciate your husband for the little he has to drop, accept it with joy and give him room to want to do more. When you show gratitude to your husband for what you think is little, you make him want to do more, and leave him with no excuse not to want to do more next time except he genuinely does not have. How you make that little work to adequately meet the needs of the home is a business that you let God take care of for you; all you need to do is exercise your faith and give God that mustard seed faith that He needs to make the impossible possible in your situation.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Do We Worship God

Many people feel like they should only praise God when they have received a blessing from God. Honestly, I was in that category too, so I am...