Wednesday 15 February 2017

What is God's Purpose for Your Marriage

I wish to thank everyone for your messages of love and comments on my wedding anniversary post, I felt so honored and loved. Valentine’s day couldn’t have been better. You made my day and I say a very big AMEN to all the prayers. I receive them with joy and look forward to joyous celebrations with you too in Jesus name.

We will continue to search the word of God for insights on how to get our marriages to the next level. No matter how good your marriage is at the moment, it can always get better because the best is yet to come for you.

So we will be taking a look at the marriages of Samson. In truth I typed marriages, as we know from the Bible that Delilah was not the only wife that Samson married; and you will also discover that the Lord allowed Samson marry a Philistine. This is very unlike God allowing an Israelite marry from outside their own people.

Judges 14:1-4
Samson went down to Timnah and saw a young Philistine woman. When he returned, he said to his father and mother, “I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife.”
His father and mother replied, “Isn’t there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?
But Samson said to his father, “Get her for me. She’s the right one for me.” (His parents did not know that this was from the Lord, who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines; for at that time they were ruling over Israel.)  

One thing I am almost too sure of is that a lot of people don’t even know the purpose of God for their marriage. All they know is that they are in love and they get married. Now if you don’t know the purpose of God for your marriage, how can you fulfill purpose with your marriage. When you don’t fulfill purpose with your marriage it becomes a miserable venture and there is nothing to look forward to in that marriage; no set goals to achieve. It's most likely going to be a continuous circle day in day out and after a while you get bored and want out.

Earlier I had mentioned that it was strange for God to allow an Israelite marry outside of his own people, but in this case Samson wasn’t just any Israelite, he was a Nazirite to the Lord. He was one set apart for God right from his mother’s womb and now he is going to marry an uncircumcised Philistine. No wonder his parents raised objections initially and save of his insistence I believe his parents will not consent to the union.

But what seem strange in the whole issue is that Samson’s decision was from the Lord and it was not just from the Lord alone, it was for a purpose. I am not sure if Samson knew that it was God pulling him in that direction for a purpose, but in truth he achieved the purpose for what the Lord intended to use that union to accomplish. Indeed he dealt a blow on the Philistines.

Another marriage that appeared strange to me, is the marriage of Hosea in the book of Hosea chapter 1. There the Lord asked Hosea to take an adulterous wife. Was God being mean to have requested this of Hosea? Definitely not; but this marriage was for a purpose. It was for an illustration of the love of God for the children of Israel. And indeed that marriage served it’s purpose.

A number of people miss it in marriage just because they don’t know the purpose why God put them in that marriage. Know today that your marriage is not solely for you. There is a mission for you to accomplish for God in that home and with that union. There is an assignment for you in the life of the person you are living with. Your marriage will be most fulfilled when you know God’s purpose for your marriage and run with it.

I asked God that big question of what He wanted of me in my marriage and what He wanted to accomplish with my marriage, when my marriage was in trouble and I wondered why the Lord will let me remain in that miserable dungeon called marriage. Today I know my purpose in marriage. Today I know that my marriage is not just for me but for as many as those whom the Lord leads to read what I write on this blog. How can I encourage others in marriage and tell them that with God everything will be fine, when my own marriage cannot model what I preach? So I am here as Mrs. Obasa in this marriage, not just for me, but also for you who read this always. And I am enjoying every bit of my marital life now. No divorce, no walking away; same man, same husband, same marriage but far better result because now I am doing it God’s way and not my way.

It’s time for you too to discover what the Lord intends to achieve with your marriage. It might not be the same as mine, but I believe it will be a glorious purpose. And when you run with that purpose you will have a fulfilled marriage that you will forever bless God for.

May the Lord bless our homes in Jesus name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Do We Worship God

Many people feel like they should only praise God when they have received a blessing from God. Honestly, I was in that category too, so I am...